Go for...I am in agreement with you and I think it would be fascinating to
hear from someone with actual experience in it...

-----Original Message-----
From: Judah McAuley [mailto:ju...@wiredotter.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:09 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Is America wising up and getting fedup of Glenn Beck?

I won't bother the list with it all, since I've been over it before,
but having done evolutionary biology research in the past, I'd be
willing to answer your questions on the subject and explain why
irreducible complexity is garbage, why Adam and Eve didn't have to be
single individuals, how life can arise without divine intervention and
how speciation occurs and has been observed in both the lab and in the
wild.

Judah

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Kris Sisk <ks...@gckschools.com> wrote:

>> Shouldn't you be looking for 6,000 year old dinosaur fossils?
>
> Heh, right. Because I believe the Bible I must also believe there were
dinosaurs 6000 years ago....get real. I realize you have a very jaded view
of me because I admitted to matching some definitions of a fundamentalist
and believe in intelligent design, but I'm not stupid. In fact, let's just
cut off all future jabs at me like this at the knees right now.

> What I believe:
> Adam and Eve were real. Even without the Bible to name them at some point
in history there had to have been one man and one woman from whom we all
came. Incidently that's true even if you believe in random chance evolution.

> The earth was made in six days, but not neccessarily six 24 hour periods.
A day in Biblical writing is not always a day as we think of them,
especially when dealing with times outside of the lifetime of the one being
addressed or doing the writing.

> Life as we know it can not possibly be the consequence of random chance. A
single celled organism is a nanomachine with hundreds of moving parts
configured with a quadrary programming language. We're infinately more
complex than that. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen randomly.

> Did it happen literally and exactly as described in Genesis? I believe
it's probably an approximation that was severely dumbed down for the a
society that hadn't even considered the science physics yet.

> Carbon dating is not perfectly accurate. We know that volcanic erruptions
can throw off it's accuracy and we also know that at several points in
geological history the Earth was littered with active volcanos. That said
it's still the most effective way to get the age of ancient objects we have.
The 4 billion year mark that geologists give us, while probably not right,
is probably much closer to the mark than the 6000 year mark that people get
by going through Biblical geneologies.

> Evolution does exist. Dogs evolved out of wolves, short beaked finches and
long beaked finches have a common ancestor, etc etc. However I don't believe
that an entirely new species could evolve out of an existing one without
divine guidance. The mutations between the two species would have to be
massive and come very close together.

> I've never seen a plausible argument against irreducible complexity. Even
if the parts of the cellular mechanisms evolved in other parts of the cell
they would still need to come together in a single generation, which would
be a much larger jump than natural selection allows for. If there's another
arugment against it I've never seen it. It seems to me that the argument has
been dismissed by the scientific community at large based solely on who
presented it without being given a chance to stand on it's own merits.
That's bad science.

> Now I spend a whole lot of time figuring out how science and my religion
can co-exist. I do this because I can not logically accept the possiblilty
of such an ordered universe as ours without God and my own religion makes
more sense to me than any other I've come across. I could get into the more
spiritual reasons that I choose to follow Christ as opposed to Muhammad or
Buhda or any of a dozen other religions, but that would be outside the
scope.

> Frankly I don't appreciate the attacks at my intelligence just because I
have a different world view than you do. You seem to be fond of them.