>On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM, G Money <gm0n3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>How about this - let the government grant civil unions to any two
>individuals who want the legal benefits (and burdens) of being
>contractually bound to another person, heterosexual or otherwise.
>
>Then if you want to be married, go to a church.  Let the church
>control marriage as a ritual and they can force you to go to all the
>classes and jump through all the hoops they want.
>
>-Cameron

The classes we took weren't particularly religious in nature. It was more about
how to keep the marriage healthy. Things like "don't go to bed angry" and "tell
your spouse you love them". Compared to how long we were engaged before we
actually started putting things together the classes and counseling didn't take
long at all. I'm just saying those types of classes for anyone wanting to get
married wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm actually not opposed to civil unions for homosexuals, believe it or not.
They want to get married and I say let them. I may not agree with that
lifestyle but neither my religion nor any other has any place in the law. Or in
the bedroom of someone who doesn't share it for that matter.

The issue I have is that a high divorce rate usually indicates a whole lot of
unhappy people in a society. That in turn indicates an unhealthy society.
Figure out what's causing so many divorces and fix it and I'd be willing to be
our society would be a whole lot happier.