On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Cameron Childress <camer...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Eric Roberts
> <ow...@threeravensconsulting.com> wrote:
> > It benefits the child when both parents are still together...so that is
> the
> > only real benefit to staying married.
>
> I definitely agree that it HUGELY benefits the kids if the parents
> stay together.  But staying together has nothing to do with being
> married.
>
> -Cameron

I don't see how I could have benefited more by my parents staying together.
They have always been involved in my life for better or worse. Being
divorced didn't change this, they just needed to budget their time with me
better. They both still came to baseball, lacrosse games etc. helped me with
homework, took me camping, the list goes on ... While I lived with my mom, I
still hung out with my dad a fair amount.

Maybe that's why my scenario was fine, parents lived across town, I just
jumped between the two when needed and could still get to school, practice,
snowboarding etc. when needed .

It's also the parents responsibility to be civilized about the other parent
around their children, this means in private with the child as well. Having
a dad bitch about the kids mom while they spend time together doesn't help
the kid at all, same for the mother, as long as the father and mother are
doing their fair share of raising the child, they will turn out just fine,
and neither mother or father will be labeled "deadbeat".

I can see where there are problems with this, and main reasoning, one parent
decides to MOVE away from the area, this makes it extremely difficult to
keep up your end in raising the child. They should actually make a law
governing how far two parents can be from their kids, keeping both parents
in the same area maybe up to 3 hours away would be simple enough for one to
assist when the child needs.