That is actually the normal function of a label element and always has
been (as far back as I can remember at least). They are particularly
handy for checkboxes and whatnot where clicking on the sometimes
really tiny little target area is difficult for people with limited
motor function or eyesight. Wrapping elements in a label provides both
a nice semantic association between text and function, it also
enhances usability making the active area of the control expand to
include the descriptive text.