I went to human resources when I returned from sick leave, when the
first sign of a problem began. I knew the director of H.R. from a
previous job, and I approached her as a friend. She knew my record was
impeccable, but she also agreed that seeking another job was a good
idea, at least out of my department. I also understood that her
responsibility is to protect the company's interest first and
foremost.

The following week I was called into a meeting with my boss and
director. They were very upset that no one was able to perform my job
when I was out on sick leave. They started off smiling and telling me
how valuable I was, and that I would immediately begin documenting
every task I perform. Then my boss began making nasty remarks,
personal attacks, and the director followed, raising his voice and
ranting about the embarrassment of not being able to answer questions
regarding the applications and websites. After 30 minutes I became
ill...chest pressure, dizzy, flush and difficulty breathing. I walked
out, tried to compose myself and called Human Resources and the Equity
office, they informed me to seek medical attention, and not to worry
they would take care of things.

The following few days, the boss and director avoided me. On the 3rd
day the director walked into my office and declared that I was to
leave the premises immediately and I was being placed on
administrative leave until further notice. I went to human resources
(the director was away), and I was informed that I was accused of
misconduct on the job. When I asked "what misconduct", I was told
"that is to be determined".

I did not go to the union immediately, thinking that I would present
my case before management and it would be dismissed and all would be
okay. Besides, the director had a history of ranting, cursing, and
throwing papers at subordinates.

After 7 days and there was no "determination", and I was no longer
receiving "administrative pay", and I was turned down by the
companyy's EEO for "no cause", and there's more that I cannot
disclose...  My friends and old co-workers insisted that I hire an
attorney, or contact the union. I did both...