Awww. Now come on peeps. You guys are all far more visionary than that.

I know for a fact that you can be issue a desktop (or laptop), locked down
to use ONLY stuff that that company has installed has installed, not allow
you to attach anything to it that they don't approve, and secure it. AND
make sure you can only access the internet and any files thru THEIR locked
down VPN.

Hubby works for a big 5 insurance company and that's how he works. You can't
even attach a thumb-drive to a usb port, or a mouse unless the company IT
dept sets it up. Not even a printer. Nothing. Needless to say the internet
is also locked down.

He's lucky he can plug in a power supply.

So  this scenario: "all with varied levels of home networking equipment
(wireless,
DSL, ethernet over power, etc).  Add to that the fact that half of them let
their kids play games on their computers at night."

Not even a factor.

Updates, patches, upgrades? All done ONLY thru the company's VPN of course.

I'm serious. We had to have a special router just to connect the thing.

So if an insurance company has the knowledge, power and resources, ...
surely the government can?