On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Michael Dinowitz
<mdino...@houseoffusion.com> wrote:
> If I was interviewing someone, the skills I'd be looking for other than
> language would be:
>   how fast can they find a viable solution through knowledge, research or
> experimentation
>   how fast they can see that they are on the wrong path or are mistaken
> about something
>   How well they adapt to new situations and learn new things

On another interview we did a year or two ago, my coworker and I were
both sitting in as part of a group interview. One person asked this
guy, Support position if I recall, "How many gas stations are their in
the US?"

It is a fairly classic reasoning question. No one is expected to know
the answer off the top of their head. Instead, you look for how they
tackle the question when they don't know the answer. After the
interview (which the guy did kind of meh on), we sat around and
discussed how the interview went and also discussed that question. It
was interesting to see how different people approach it.

I had a logic and reasoning route, starting at a guess for how many
stations are roughly in my area, extrapolating up to the population of
my city, then extrapolating from there to the population of the US.  I
later also did a google search because I wanted to know more precisely
and found a report from a petroleum industry association.

My coworker went to Google maps, did a search for "gas station", then
zoomed out to the level of the United States.

He's really damn smart, btw. And our different ways of answering the
question all came to within a pretty reasonable agreement with one
another. Cool stuff.

Ju