I don't know, that's a great question for a proper scientist to
investigate. If you think about the path of human migration out of
Africa into the Middle East, then India, north into Central Asia and
west into East Asia, and from Central Asia to Europe across the bitter
cold forests of Siberia and Europe across a period of tens of
thousands of years, you begin to understand how Europeans came to
depend on alcohol for calories in the winter, and how many Asians,
especially in South and Southeast Asia, never had to worry about such
brutal winter conditions.

Also makes you wonder when alcohol was first discovered/produced.