On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Gruss Gott <grussg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whenever you get a group of humans together to make a decision based on
> incomplete or unknowable facts you always get 2 general groups:
>
> * do nothing
> * do something

Most likely we're already too late and we'll be headed into our 6th mass
extinction event regardless. :-)

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Earths-five-mass-extinction-events.html

What Veron 2008 <http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008CorRe..27..459V> found
was each mass extinction event corresponded to periods of quickly changing
atmospheric CO2. When CO2 changes slowly, the gradual increase allows
mixing and buffering of surface layers by deep ocean sinks. Marine
organisms also have time to adapt to the new environmental conditions.
However, when CO2 increases abruptly, the acidification effects are
intensified in shallow waters owing to a lack of mixing. It also gives
marine life little time to adapt.