On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Medic <hofme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who in the Western world truly doesn't know that eating and exercise habits
> are the two biggest factors in having a healthy body? This has been common
> knowledge since long before you or I were born.

Everyone is agreeing that eating and exercising habits are keys (over
and above genetics). The devil is in the details though and that's
what others are saying that you seem to be missing. I'm generally
fairly healthy and certainly not "a fatty" but I'm getting older and
the stupid commute the last 3 years has left me more sedentary along
with the stress and time taken up by my kid, so over the last couple
years I've seen my blood pressure gradually rise, gained a few pounds
and seen my cholesterol numbers go in a direction that I'm not happy
with. Nothing is super bad yet but I don't want it to get there.

So I talked it over with my doctor at my annual exam earlier this week
and we specifically discussed my triglycerides. His advice? He said:
"Some of my patients have done really well with a low carb, high
protein diet. Others have done well with a diet focused on low fat. In
your case? Who knows. I'm going to suggest cutting out some simple
carbs and increasing your fruit and vegetable intake and then we'll
just monitor things".

This guy is a really, really good doctor. I've got the luxury of hour
long annual exams where he really takes the time to get to know me.
I'm knowledgeable and have the luxury of having lots of really good
local, healthy food options and live in an area that really looks well
on fitness and promotes healthy lifestyles. And I'm still suffering
from some mild effects of our western lifestyle and my doctor still
can't tell me exactly what I should do to improve the things we want
to work on. It's trial and error at this point and something I'll
really have to self-motivate on and try different things and work
closely with my doctor. I consider myself in a better situation than
95% of the people in this country and it still isn't going to simple.

"Eat right and exercise more" just isn't helpful enough advice.

Cheers,
Judah