On 3/18/2012 6:03 PM, Maureen wrote:

> It's a bit of a leap of logic to take the actions of one poorly
> educated person and label an entire class of people as ignorant.

Financially ignorant.

> Although I will agree with that throwing money at it is not the
> solution.  Education about how to manage money would be a much better
> tactic.

People complain about the state of social security.  Well, if people
knew how to plan for retirement, it might not be as much of an issue.  I
am not suggesting making everyone millionaires, as that just isn't
possible, but enough to live on without government assistance after
retiring is the goal.

I would be willing for social welfare to come with a few strings
attached, namely that the recipient is required to become educated in
the basic principles of finance, if they are able.