*clapping*

-----Original Message-----
From: Judah McAuley [mailto:ju...@wiredotter.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:35 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Why poor people tend to stay poor

If you don't think people on welfare know a thing or two about managing
money then you are an idiot. Having spent time growing up on welfare, I can
tell you that people tend to know exactly where every single penny is going.
Because there are no extra pennies.

The problem (and this is something I've suffered from) is that you only know
how to deal with hand to mouth. There is no experience investing extra money
because there has never been extra money. If you somehow happen to have a
bit more at the end of a month, that is (at
best) getting put into a savings account because you know that you'll be
short again sometime soon. The short months always outnumber the ones that
aren't. That's why you're fucking poor.

Right now I'm 38 and doing fairly well. Paid off a good portion of my debt.
I haven't emptied my savings account in several years. Still pushing toward
getting the mythical 6 months of living expenses solid in my savings
account. And I know that I really ought to be creating not just a savings
plan but an actual investment plan. But I still haven't. Know why? It's
because I grew up poor, I see the bullshit in the markets and the
manipulation and I have a hard time trusting anyone else with my money
because I'm used to not having enough.

I'm a really fucking smart guy. I know numbers and compound interest.
I have a math degree. I've got everything going for me that the woman you
are talking about doesn't. But I still haven't gotten completely over the
hump psychologically. It isn't about expecting the State to take care of
you. That may be true for a small minority of people but largely it is a red
herring. It is about expectations. Expecting to get screwed over by the
system. Expecting the rich to have theirs and plenty of yours too. About
knowing that when you are poor, chances are pretty good that you're gong to
stay poor. That shit is hard to shake, believe me.

I'm all in favor of education. Helping people understand finance, economics,
budgeting...good stuff. That isn't the real problem though.
That will help, but it isn't the real problem. The real problem is
inequality. It is poverty. It's a lack of jobs. It's a poor education.
It is a legacy of not being able to realistically believe that working hard
and saving your pennies will result in a truly different life.
Until you solve those problems, financial education won't get people very
far.

You can lecture people on welfare all you want about how to save money but
welfare sure as shit ain't going to give them two pennies to rub together.

Judah