I know I found the idea insulting when someone was trying to get me to take
a class like that back in the day. My problem was that rent was 800 a
month, day care was 300 a week, my salary was 300 a week, and some judge
figured the kids' dad fair share of this was 300 a month, because that was
a dollar a month more than the income limit for assistance programs.

It was that last part that was killing me, not an inability to add up. I
was a freaking business major, with a comp sci minor. The child support
collections people told me I was plain lucky to get anything, and that most
fathers don't pay their child support at all. This was probably
statistically true over the population of the state of Maryland, when I got
 and for sure it made me not a priority from their point of view, but when
I got this whole thing back into court five years later -- with no help
from the state, mind you -- I found out that the whole five years I'd been
struggling with this he was crying poverty while making $79,000 a year. I
think he could have afforded to chip in half his kids'  rent, yanno? He was
living in his parents' basement. But anyway.

I have seen quite a few stories about that woman. No, she is not what's
wrong with America today. She was totally supposed to report the income. I
suspect that she didn't because she had got it through her head that she
could not make it on her own and would always need assistance. I have met
quite a few women like that. Also, it's so hard to get into some programs
that people don't like to go off, because they're afraid they won't be able
to get when they need it. That's what I think was really going on there.
It's quite likely that it was compounded with some native fecklessness and
maybe some budgets that got blown on booze or drugs,sure.

But I actually think that the entitlement situation would be fiscally
healthier and better for recipients if it was easier to get on and harder
to *stay*. At the moment the system is so overwhelmed checking the stories
of the people signing up that there's really no mechanism for making people
report changed circumstances until they have to recertify. Even then, I
remember telling a food stamp worker that I'd gotten a temporary job and
she decided that even though, strictly speaking, it put me over the income
limit, she was going to ignore it because she did not want to penalize me
for for working. If she followed the regs and ended my food stamps then
signed me back up when it ended two weeks later we'd both spend a couple of
days on this and I'd be worse off.