The released cell phone conversation that the victim had with his
girlfriend while he was walking back to his father's place makes it
pretty clear that it was not self defense. Zimmerman apparently
followed the kid for some distance as Martin was trying to get back to
his father's place. Moreover from the released tapes the kid was
terrified. While there was a scuffle I don't think that give
Zimmerman's following the kid etc., its more like he was going after
the kid.