* Kid was minding his own business.
* Kid was from out of town and had no idea who Zimmerman was.
* Zimmerman was on neighborhood watch, not on neighborhood
confront-anyone-suspicious-you-see
* He armed himself and went looking for a confrontation.
* He was not supposed to be armed while fulfilling his watch duties.
* Zimmerman was obviously pissed at the lack of results from the police
and he was going to make sure "this asshole didn't get away".  The kid
was guilty in his eyes the moment he saw him.
* The 911 dispatcher told him not to confront the kid.  He is not
required to obey the dispatcher and so confronted the kid anyway.
* The kid probably (rightly) feared for his life when Zimmerman
confronted him.
* Zimmerman ended up with a broken nose and the kid ended up dead.
* witnesses said the kid was yelling for help before the shot.  Some
reported two shots, which means that a potential second shot completely
missed and hit something else.
* Some have claimed that Zimmerman fancied himself a
vigilante/unofficial cop, but that is here-say.  If true, he likely has
buddies on the force which could explain the lack of police interest.

I am sorry, but the moment you initiate a confrontation, you lose the
right to claim you were standing your ground.  He could have really been
defending himself, but he put himself in that situation.

At the very least, he needs to be arrested and charged with
manslaughter, reckless endangerment, whatever using a firearm in a
residential area law they have and assault with a deadly weapon.  Maybe
even bump that manslaughter up to a murder since Zimmerman armed himself
with the expectation that he might have to shoot someone.  So, a little
bit of premeditation there.

People have gone to prison for a long time for less.