But, "dead is dead", and it _shouldn't_ have an effect on the way it is
punished. Fuck 'em both.

It certainly shouldn't be ok for the "defense", as it seems to be right
now, to claim: "I was afraid. he was black. can't blame me for shooting
him".

If the race of the dude who was shot IS relevant, then in THIS case,
according to THESE particular state laws, it might very well prove to be
the mitigating factor to prevent any charges at all.

It's a two sided coin.