>From the Financial Times today....  They are both going to court the
woman vote....

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this
article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the
article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email
ftsales.supp...@ft.com to buy additional rights.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/73eb8e60-800d-11e1-b4a8-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1rJetH0uN

April 6, 2012 9:03 pm
IBM chief hits glass ceiling in Augusta

By Richard Waters in San Francisco
Virginia Rometty

Three months after rising to one of the top jobs in corporate America,
Ginni Rometty is this weekend coming to terms with a glass ceiling she
has been unable to break: membership of Augusta National, the
male-only club where the Masters golf tournament reaches its climax on
Sunday.

The failure to offer membership to the new chief executive of IBM, the
event’s chief sponsor, is a snub that critics say will rebound badly
on both the club and the computer company itself, should it fail to
take a stand over the issue.

The omission comes despite growing public attention, which late this
week included mild rebukes from President Barack Obama and Mitt
Romney, his probable Republican rival in November’s election, both of
whom seized on the issue as a chance to woo female voters. “His
personal opinion is that women should be admitted,” said Jay Carney,
White House spokesman.

Augusta National traditionally offers honorary membership to the chief
executives of the Masters tournament’s corporate sponsors, putting Ms
Rometty in line to become the first female member in the club’s 79
year history. But as the second day of play continued on Friday, Ms
Rometty had not been made a member.

Ms Rometty, who plays golf, has not spoken on the issue and the
computer company would not comment. The Professional Golfers
Association has not taken a stand against Augusta’s gender bar.

Coming so soon after Ms Rometty’s assumption of the leadership of a
highly conservative corporation that does all it can to avoid drawing
personal attention to its leaders, critics say a failure to respond
strongly to the snub will be damaging for IBM .

“All those female [IBM] employees would feel demoralised and see her
appointment as just being symbolic,” said Mary Ellen Balchunis, a
professor of political science at La Salle University. She added that
it would also make it harder for IBM to recruit in future, since young
employees “are looking for the most progressive places to work”.

Others argue that the Augusta snub is equally demoralising for other
aspiring female executives, who often feel left out of male-dominated
business networking – much of which takes place in social settings
such as golf courses.

Ben Agger, a professor of sociology at the University of Texas,
described prestigious country clubs around New York and Washington as
the true “corridors of power” where important work relationships are
cemented. He added that women, even when full members at such
exclusive clubs, often find they are relegated to the worst tee-times,
making the Augusta membership issue “both highly symbolic and
substantive”.

“For a conservative, cautious company like [IBM] to pull out would
make a profound statement,” Mr Agger said.