Take down, how?  Grapple with him?  You would tackle a man who is strung
out on who knows what that probably makes him "invincible" and also
makes him think it is a good idea to eat faces?  He obviously has no
problems with biting ... and biting, and biting.  Who is really going to
stick their body parts into that mess?

If I were the victim, I would tell the cop to fill him up.

Chewing on someone's face is a seriously life threatening situation.  I
would treat the attacker as if he were armed with a knife.  If you wield
a fatal weapon, be prepared to be subjected to deadly force.

I only feel sorry for the guy as far as what must have gone wrong in his
life that got him to that point.  I am also sorry for any family he had.
  I am not sorry he was shot to stop him from doing what he was doing.