Man, I'm sure glad you aren't a cop.

Ok, let's talk escalation of force.  I only now it from the Military side,
not the LEO side, but we don't even jump straight to shoot unless it's
obvious that the opponent is going to use lethal force.  Shout show shove
shoot. Those were our principles..  That's as a combat unit.  As police I
would have expected them to go through a more serious series of
escalations, including but not limited to:

Tazers
Mace
Baton
Body Holds and joint manipulation
Strikes
and failing all else lethal force

The face shouldn't kill you by being bitten.  Neck maybe, but even that
would take quite a bit.

All that being said, it doesn't matter.  This cop in my view overreacted,
and it cost a man who might very well have been mentally ill his life.
Outside of dust, which isn't all too popular these days; and meth which
could have been a concern, I don't know of any drugs that would make
someone act in this manner.

At best this was an assault that ended in the death of the perpetrator.  If
the victim had been the one to do the shooting I wouldn't think twice about
it, I have higher standards for LEOs.