The idea of retiring "retroactively" is absurd.

I'm baffled that anyone would actually accept that as an explanation.

It's also extremely poor judgement to remain as owner and head of an
organisation that is running, and claim to have absolutely no concern or
knowledge of what that enterprise is doing in your name and with your
authority.
Are you going to do the same thing as President?

Is he going to claim when something happens that he didn't know, that he
wasn't involved? Is he going to resign Retroactively from committees that
perform poorly for example?
It's an obvious cop-out and obvious PR and damage control.

Here's a brief analysis of the issue
http://www.americablog.com/2012/07/romneys-top-campaign-adviser-mitt.html

Who's actually accepting this explanation?