I've written a lot of software for the insurance industry, including
some of the very first electronic claims processing software back in
the seventies.

I'm not going to name names and open myself up to any form of
liability, but I saw so much fraud and and corruption that I finally
just couldn't stomach working in that industry at all.

There in one major carrier whose standard policy is to deny every
claim, knowing that a percentage of people will accept the denial
without challenge. No horror story about any insurance company would
surprise me.

Same thing with pension and benefit companies, and medical billing firms.