> The insurance industry is special.  They do everything possible to
> convince people of the importance of having insurance and then
> after purchase,  do everything possible to deny the use of it.

Not to defend the lengths that the insurance companies go through to
follow this to its logical conclusion, but it's good business sense
(sell a service and then hope people don't use it or dissuade them
from using it) and many industries make use of it.  Cell phone plans
are a good example as well.  I'm paying for minutes and data whether I
use them or not.  The more I pay for and the less I use, the higher
their profit goes.  (I'm sure if Verizon had a way to dissuade me from
using minutes or data that I've already paid for without losing me as
a customer they'd do it).  Same applies to things like gym memberships
(there's a reason they push annual contracts rather than
month-to-month membership).

Insurance is supposed to be about risk transference to provide a
safety net.  As public corporations, however, their first duty is to
their shareholders rather than the customers they're supposed to be
protecting.  The libertarian part of me thinks people should plan
ahead as much as possible on their own by providing their own safety
net and reducing risks, but the realist in me knows that not everyone
has the means to cover expenses and things can happen through no fault
of your own which would otherwise ruin people financially, so
insurance is a necessity of modern life.  When an insurance company's
primary goal is no longer to protect its policyholders, bad things are
sure to happen.  It's a flaw in the system.

I don't want to open a can of worms about the recent changes to health
care and insurance, but I do believe that one of the good things that
came from all that was to require health insurance companies to spend
a certain percentage of their premiums on actual health care and issue
refunds on anything over the limit (essentially, they didn't provide
service that people paid for so they have to give a partial refund).
I believe that many of the abuses we've been discussing about auto
insurance (and the same can apply to other insurance as well) would be
greatly reduced if the same rule were applied to insurance in other
industries as well.  There can be a profit motive, sure, I'm all for
that, but when you're so greedy that you're actually fighting against
your own customers to not provide the service they've paid for, you
might as well be asking for your industry to become more regulated.

Right now there is very little incentive not to deny claims by default
or actively try to dissuade claims and pay out as little as possible.
Sure there is customer satisfaction to consider, but the number of
times a person needs to file insurance claims is relatively miniscule
compared with other services we pay for.  I make lots of phone calls
in a day, but I think I've filed an insurance claim perhaps twice in
my life.  If Comcast high-speed Internet service goes down for a few
hours, I hear about it from several people in a short time.  I can
count on one hand the number of times someone I know has mentioned
their experience filing an insurance claim and how their claim was
treated, etc. (aside from the list discussion here, or course).  Each
insurance claim is unique which further clouds people's ability to
really take it all in and predict how they will be treated as a
customer.  As an insurance company, upsetting policyholders is not
likely a large enough disincentive to prevent them from abusing those
customers in any way they think they can get away with.  An outside
force may be necessary to reign in the industry and get it focused
back on protecting their policyholders.

-Justin