>>| From: Will Swain [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>>|
>>| declawing seems incredibly cruel. far better to not have a
>>| cat, if it's claws are that much of a problem. Or of course
>>| to use these rather natty things....which I love incidentally Erika.

Some cats I had never misbehaved with their claws. I've had them leave
things alone with just training. Others are incorrigible.
There's always more to the situation that meets the eye. Sometimes it's
NOT better to not have a cat.

I would NEVER have gotten my old cat declawed if he had been an outside
cat. He was very loved and spoiled his whole life. And returned the
affection....though I guess cats can be fickle.

In his case: there was a thunderstorm, and my sister dropped one of
those talking dolls by her bed and he was underneath. The thunderstorm
and the squealing baby proved too much for him and he went berzerk. Came
out hissing and spitting and literally ran up one side of my sister and
down the other, then leaping back at her and hanging off her thigh with
all four paws worth of claws dug in. We had to PULL him off. She was a
bleeding mess. Had to have stitches by her eye.

It was the first time he'd ever done something like that, of course. The
animal warden came, the authorities got involved, and the outcome was,
the only way we could keep him was if he was declawed. Otherwise they
were putting him to sleep. So declawed he got.

In any case, the declawing option is now deceased, as softpaws has come
to the rescue.

They are rather cool aren't they? :)

Erika
With a K