You know when we moved from albums to tapes and then CD's, some of the
mystique of the object got lost in the shuffle - I think. But that is still
there and I think more than ever these days it is becoming important. So
with the album/CD you get Photos, artwork, lyrics and other little extras,
even the look of the CD. I have lots of mp3s but I still buy CDs, some of
which were from artists I discovered through (good old) Napster.

Napster for me was a very cool exercise in community. Many of the recordings
I found there are not commercially available. I had great conversations with
people in California, Germany, England and so on....

Napster and others allowed one to kind of sidestep the force-feeding of
culture, something that the record companies are anxious to prevent, but
that was exciting to me. That genie is out of the bottle now, and I don't
believe it can be recapped.

When it comes to mass culture, I find it hard to have sympathy for its
purveyors. It is such a contrast to say when I went to a festival this
summer, and I would have happily spent $1000 or more on CD's if I had it.

Patrick