In 1972, I was in Paris for a couple of days with my
Mom, on the way home from a trip to Israel.

I attempted to communicate with a shopkeeper in
extremely limited one-term high school French.

In return, I got a pained smile, and he said "Thank you,
monseiur, but I would prefer to speak English than hear
what you are doing to my beloved language".

<haha>

Bet if I hadn't at least _tried_ to start with French,
he would have been hostile that I assumed he spoke
English.

A little respect for others, and an attempt to learn
something about their culture, goes a long way...

-Ben