It gets even better.

Miss World reporter faces fatwa
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/africa/11/26/nigeria.fatwa/index.html

Mamoudu Shinkarfi, the deputy governor of Zamfara state, said on national television:
"Any true Muslim would make sure that this woman's blood is spilled wherever she is."

Because, of course, governments operating under Sharia always prove how peace loving
Muslims can be.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/26/02 10:13AM >>>
I'm still catching up on email so forgive me if this has already been
discussed. Anyone else following the Miss World riots? I was reading
this URL:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=2&cid=578&u=/nm/2
0021126/ts_nm/religion_nigeria_missworld_dc

and got pretty disgusted by this:

"The Miss World pageant was hastily relocated to London, but there
pageant organizers came up against more opposition with media and lobby
groups accusing them of having blood on their hands."

Let me see if I get this. A _reporter_ makes a comment about the
pageant. This reporter is not associated with the pageant. The local
folks get violent, because, as we all know, if someone offends your
religion you have every right to go out and kill hundreds of folks. Yet
somehow this is the pageant's fault? I'm not a big support of pageants
but this seems rather stupid (although you have to wonder what they were
thinking going to a country that is obviously full of wackos - and sorry
if that offends - but if they are going to _riot_ over a comment like
this - they need something better to do).

Maybe I'm not a dedicated enough to my religion - but if someone told me
God didn't exist, or was stupid, or whatever, I can't see killing him
over it.

-rc