Well, for $900 you can get this already set up:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku
=V133-1014

Dual PIII 1000@133, Dual 40Gig drives with IDE RAID, and so on.  For
$1200 they have the same box in a rack-mount case.

I have a home built dually with a similair configuration (on an ABIT VP6
Mobo) that smokes.  Dual PIII 1000s stand very well against all but the
fastest P4s (the PIII is much faster than the P4 at the same clock, but
the P4 can be clocked much higher).  The VP6 does have a PCI latency
issue common to the Via chipsets of the time, but it really only affects
high bandwidth usage (in my case I had trouble using a Turtle Beach
Santa Cruz and the RAID Array at the same time I was using a Hauppauge
PVR/TV card - not enough to go around for all three).

You might also check out www.2CPU.com - a ton of good information on
duallies.  You might get away cheaper with a Dual AMD box for example.

Another option that I like is the small form factor PCs.  Little
shoebox-sized PCs with just about everything onbaord (audio, video,
Firewire, USB, ethernet, etc).  Shuttle is the king of these at the
moment.  Here's one:

http://www.shuttleonline.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=76

They're not the fastest systems possible, but they aren't slow either.
You can stack four of then in the same space as normal tower, they're
much quieter and use a lot less power.  I personally use two FIC Sabre
systems as servers and love them... But if I bought now I'd buy the
Shuttle's (even tho' I like the look of the Sabre's better) bevause FIC
simply doesn't support their gear.

Jim Davis