I completely agree.  Unfortunately, the idea of the SUV is completely
tainted.  If you look at the originators of the "suv", most of them are
not the behemoths we see on the road today.  The Ford Bronco (OJ Style)
was huge, but it was a 2 door vehicle and was more or less a specialty
off-road vehicle.  Jeeps and Land Rovers (read: the originators) are not
huge like the Ford Exes (peditions, cursions & plorers) and the GMC
Monster Class (ESCALADE, TAHOE, TAHOE DENALI, DENALI YUKON, AVALANCHE)
and are actually the largest now I think they have ever been.  These
vehicles are truly SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES.  I cannot think of any other
so-called SUV I would feel comfortable taking off road, in stock form,
than a Jeep, Land Rover or Hummer (maybe a 4 Runner).

As you can probably tell, I'm a Jeep owner, and I feel embarrassed this
day and age to own a SUV due to the preconception it carries.  I am one
of the remaining few that classify for the "SU" part of the SUV.  The
EXES and Escalades and DENALIS can join the GGV "Grocery Go-getter
Vehicles" Class and leave us quiet SUV owners out of the Full Frontal
SUV attack that exists today. Any vehicle with 6 bolts on the wheels
better be dirty at least once a month.  The "originators" still have 5.

My jeep might have leather seats, but after a week up in Vermont, I'm
quite glad I have my rock rails as well :)

As far as gas mileage, we can beat this argument to death.  The only
valid issue is the environment.  Everyone who says the SUV owners will
cry when the price goes up... Who cares??  I read jealousy.  If that's
the big concern, then just be happy you don't have to pay as much.  You
should be happy your car cost less as well.  But that's not addressed
here either.

Back to the environment.  Emissions are constantly being reduced.  If
you feels SUV's are ruining the environment, and you drive a car, you
are a hypocrite.  Stop driving then.  Because you ruin the environment
"a little less than the SUV's" does not give you a platform to stand on.
How about targeting boats?  These are primarily frivolous vehicles with
no form of catalytic conversion & directly pollutes the water.  You get
my point...

Now don't get me wrong... I'm all for saving the earth, but short term,
unfounded, targeted attacks are not the way to go.  A better (and
existing) direction would be tax incentives for Electric Vehicles.  I'll
be the first one to buy an electric Jeep, as long as it can handle the
same off road trails :)

My $.02

- j