> For me it not an SUV issue, it's an issue with
> people who think they know better than everyone else, and
> because they feel this way, they also feel the need to try to
> impose their beliefs on others. IE I don't drive an SUV so
> you shouldn't either, regardless of what you are using it
> for.

I don't think so. I think that it doesn't have anything to do with knowing
better than everyone else. It has to do with feeling safe on the road when
you are surrounded by these monsters that you cannot see around or through,
that have huge blind spots so they cannot see you and that tend to ride your
bumper at 70+ mph with headlights glaring into your rear view mirror - all
of this with usually just one or maybe two people in the vehicle. I think
many of these drivers develop an arrogance on the road that comes from a
misplaced sense of confidence and safety with the size of these vehicles
they are driving. While these people may in some ways be safer themselves by
driving these vehicles (debatable - see some of the statistics that have
been released in the last week) they are also hazards to those of us who
don't drive them.

You know, driving is the single most dangerous thing most of us do each day.
There is absolutely no guarantee when you pull out of the driveway each
morning that you will get safely where you are going, let alone that you
will return safely home at the end of the day. The fact that the vast
majority of us do only masks the atrocious and abominable state of driving
skills in this country (USA) today. It is a national scandal. Look at the
outcry, fear and attention raised by the 13 sniper deaths in the D.C. area
last Fall. I wonder how many people died or were seriously maimed in car
accidents in that area during that same period of time? And it's still going
on. Where's the outcry over that?

George
[EMAIL PROTECTED]