That overwhelming evidence, even, can be less than clear-cut.  What was
overwhelming evidence a handful of years ago is blown away by DNA
testing, resulting in a surprising number of people released from jail
after tests are done, sometimes more than 10-15 years after that person
was found guilty and imprisoned.

Perhaps it wasn't particularly "overwhelming" in the first place.
Reading some of the case synopses, it's surprising how many people are
put on death row or get life in prison based on an unfortunate
combination of lineup identifications, circumstantial evidence and lousy
public defenders.

I don't know what the answer is, though.  Just a little frustrating to
see the justice system too often work off of re-election campaign fodder
and power trips for attorneys.

- Jim