Um... pardon me, but if you commit a crime because you have a beef with
society, then society throws you in a prison where you get raped and
everybody knows about it / doesn't care, aren't you more likely to be
angrier with society and thus commit more crimes once released?

The logic that this is what prisoners deserve is counterintuitive in
that it works against the supposed end of prision, i.e. reducing /
eliminating crime. If we are locking people up so they will come out
worse off then before, perhaps we need to ask why are we have prisons in
the first place. Further, if the conventional logic goes that whoever
commits a crime is a criminal for life, the idea of temporary
incarceration is insufficent for meeting the goal of destroying crime.

I mean, the idea of punishment is great and all, but if doing time means
more frequent and brutal crimes, I would be completely against the idea
of prisons. At some point we must ask ourselves how bad we must make
things for criminals to make them change their ways, not how bad we must
make things for criminals.