> I can't find the statistics right now (you know, when they would be
useful), but I remember that 98 percent of crime is committed by someone who
has already been through the "justice" system for previous crimes.

I'm no statistician, but that strikes me as odd. In order for someone to
commit a second or third crime, they have to commit a first. And with first
time offenders being only 2%? That suggests to me that either a.) the number
of criminals is very small and it's easy to get to that 98% number; but
since we know the prisons are full that, b.) there are just a small subset
of the people in the system that are committing a LOT of repeat crimes.

-Kevin