You outlined five really far-fetched ridiculous scenarios which aren't in any way different if the participants are same sex or not same sex.  No wait marriages can easily be a vehicle for abuse NOW, it has nothing to do with the sex of the participants
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Haggerty, Mike
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:25 AM
  Subject: RE: You People

  Beth -

  Stop putting words in my mouth or shut up.

  What I have said is too many straight people will do things that are not
  in their interests because they get their kicks from violating norms and
  taboos. Entering into a same-sex marriage carries the appropriate amount
  of social stigma in many communities that it could easily become a
  vehicle for abuse.

  I have outlined about five scenarios where I could see this happening.
  This line of reasoning is referred to as the 'keys to the car' argument
  by some social psychologists, and it is one I happen to agree with.

  I have said nothing about any gay person, and am extremely offended by
  your accusations. As far as I know, I am entitled to my own opinion and
  fail to see where you get off attacking me.

  As for whom controls norms and taboos, you got me there.