OK, you're somewhat correct, but the dividing line in this culture with respect to my point is gender, and I'm sure not talking about any other culture.  Don't take us off the point with nitpicking ideas about what the culture is when we're obviously talking about our own.  I don't need to say something like "Well, except for in the Molgolian desert culture of nomads of the fifth century, women are treated with the utmost respect."  C'mon, argue with me on merit and not tangental points.

- Matt Small
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry C. Lyons
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 4:19 PM
  Subject: Re: You People

  >  >>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/18/03 12:19PM >>>
  >UGH - I can't fight everybody on the list about this, I accept that
  >fact that you think I'm wrong.  That's ok, I think you're wrong, I
  >think that when you ignore human and mother nature you end up paying
  >attention very quickly.
  >
  >Everybody is correct when they say that the situations I proposed
  >are valid for heterosexaul couples as well.  The crux of my
  >arguments is that men behave very differenty from women when posed
  >in the same situation.  I believe that men will find any and all
  >possible ways to exploit the system - women no longer have to be a
  >part of it.  Am I wrong on this, Larry?  You're a behavior expert,
  >right? What I meant was that women think differently than men - no
  >need to twist my words, I'll do my own twisting.

  I'm no real behavior expert. I just prefer to cite research. Remember
  one thing, you have to be very careful ascribing biological
  differences to what could entirely be cultural ones. The problem is
  that the behaviors you note if they really indicated a biological
  difference, would exist across the board, and across all cultures and
  societies, and would be fairly rigidly defines (almost no men would
  do behavior X and almost no women would do behavior Y). Using your
  example, there are plenty of women who game the system a lot. And a
  lot of men who do not. With a bit of looking I am sure I can come up
  with a bunch of other cultures that are just the opposite, men
  carefully following the system and not taking advantage of it and
  women being the exact opposite. In these cases its always a very good
  idea to be skeptical of your own cultural assumptions.

  larry