oh, I know. ;)

And they painted the advocate lady to be very Nazi-like. But it also made the mother and father look culpable.

Candace K. Cottrell, Web Developer
The Children's Medical Center
One Children's Plaza
Dayton, OH 45404
937-641-4293
http://www.childrensdayton.org

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/4/2004 3:29:40 PM >>>
sounds like she wasn't much of an advocate.

I wasn't picking on you, just thinking that a show like that sends an unfortunate message. Like, if you can't do this, people will make fun of you. The most frequent reason I have ever heard for not breast feeding is exactly that, can't make it work and/or don't know how. Followed by I am just not going to do that, but that's a different story.

There is a concern that the breastfed child may not get enough to eat, since unlike bottles it is hard to measure amounts of breast milk. But I had it very very drilled into me to call the doctor if the kid wasn't needing diaper changes. And there are a LOT of new-baby appointments, that presumably would catch this. When it comes to babies there are clinics, medical card or no medical card, and it would seem like if the mother was really young she might get put in one of those mentoring programs....

Btw if the show said the father was not responsible I disagree with that too, he is a parent who should be looking out for his child. The year I left Maryland there was a real-life case where the children died in a car accident because the father was drunk, and they prosecuted the mother for letting him take them. Even though there was a court order for visitation, I think. Harsh, but I agree with that. If the mother had had more backbone the kids might be alive.

Dana