The original Star Wars trilogy on DVD has been annouced for release Sept
2004.  A 4 disc box set will feature the 3 movies, and a 4th bonus disc
(director's commentary?).

Unfortunately, these are the 'special versions' where Lucas added some new
effects and had Greedo shoot first  : (

>From http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml:

:: Instead, the DVDs will include the much-debated versions director Lucas
released in the '90s with new digital effects and plot
::  twists that softened the character of Han Solo - even though DVD makes
it easy to offer both the original and director's cut of a
::  movie.

:: It's simply a matter of an artist's right, says Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm
vice president and the executive producer of the set.

:: "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is
not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and
:: filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available
is this one."

:: The original "Star Wars" from 1977 is the second-highest-grossing movie
of all time in the U.S. (behind "Titanic"), and all three
:: "Star Wars" movies in the trilogy still rank in the Top 20.

"artists's rights" my ass.  that blows.

Charlie