What gets me, though, is that Lucas is such a "look at my toys!" geek,
I'm really surprised he didn't offer the original live and/or effects
shots as alternate angles at least.

Actually, I'm less put off by Greedo-shoots-first bit than that dreadful
scene with Jabba the Hutt in the hangar with the Falcon.  They cut that
from the original with good reason.  It shouldn't have been brought back.

- Jim