On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 09:46 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Apple may be getting more competitive, but I still think an Intel
> solution
> can be deployed cheaper than an Apple solution.  For Instance: A Mac
> server
> with a 60GB ATA IDE drive 256 MB ram, etc., is about $3k, I can do that
> with
> SCSI for less in an Intel box.  On top of the fact that who uses ATA IDE
> drives in a server?  Coupled with the fact that they don't offer harware
> RAID (which I wouldn't buy any production box without), etc., I would
> never
> be able to get it past upper management.  I wouldn't even try.  I'd
> love to
> have OS/X on a server, but Intel Linux or even Intel Win2k is cheaper.
> Not
> even saying anything about administrative costs due to inexperience with
> Apple hardware or software.

Don't know enough about servers to respond other that there are several
price points.

        http://www.apple.com/xserve/

One of these days, someone will do some benchmarks to make a realistic
comparison of the Mac offering to the competition

> The lowest cost iMAC is pretty cheap (as far as desktops go), but
> again - I
> could do intel cheaper.

Yes, but you might be more productive on a Mac

> Love the interface, love the fact it's on a BSD-based core, but it'll
> never
> have an inroad here without more offerings at less price.

You can get a classic iMac starting at $799 (new, better used)  This is
a lot faster, etc than the old iMac I used for the port of CFMX to OS
X -- and it has exactly the same OS, Java, Apache, Perl, yadda, yadda,
yadda

        http://www.apple.com/imac/g3/

Dick