On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 11:17 AM, Neil Robertson-Ravo =TMM=
wrote:

> I think price is not really issue at the mo (surely peripherals are so
> cheap that building your own is probably cheaper!?)
>
> Mac's are nice machines.... to look at (IMHO, so donít bother with your
> Mac-o-lite rants :-)
>
> No matter how much it moves on though, an iMac not only looks stoopid,
> but it has no floppy drive (yes, we still need them!)...

I am curious, what do you use a floppy for?  Is it the requirement of
your OS or your application?

I haven't needed or used a floppy drive in 4 years --

        The Mac OS works very nicely with floppy or CD Images.  These can
be copied to hard disk,
        uploaded, downloaded, emailed, burned to CD (and yes, even copied
to a floppy disk).

        all Macs come with NFS and AFP networking hardware and software
built in with a
        real plug and play interface -- you don't even require a crossover
cable to connect 2 Macs --
        The hardware/software determines the type of ethernet cable and
adjusts accordingly.

        All Macs come with a web server: Apache.

        all Macs come with internet connection hardware, software and free
trial internet connection

        All Macs come with a free 20 MB personal disk space on an Apple web
Server (this will change
        soon to $99/year for 100MB disk space plus some other goodies).

        sneaker-net is not needed

        All of the above can be used to exchange files -- If you really
need a floppy you can get one for
        about $100 (last time i looked)

>>> I priced up the same configuration on an iMac
>
> I'm intrigued.... Was it running Windows :-)?

No, Mac OSX, but you could get an emulator  Virtual PC for $90 (if you
already own Win) or $90 -$140 more if you want to buy win 98, XP Home,
or Win200.

This also allows you to emulate other Intel OSes such as RH Linux.

So, dollar-wise, I think the cost of the Mac is still lower cost.

HTH

Dick