> > Point 4 - Lack of a supported CF Mac developer platform will likely
> > detract from CF sales and contribute to competitor sales.
> >
> > Those who have used CFMX on Mac OS X (I know most of them) think
> > that is a sweet system -- superior to the other available options.  I
can't make this
> > statement, because I have never developed on a Win, Solaris or Linux
box.

> > I can give this opinion:  CFMX ON Mac OSX is the *Best* Web
> > Application development system, running on the *Best* Operating system
running on the *Best*
> > Personal Computer.

Just my $.02 worth:

The X-server includes Apple's amazingly good WebObjects 5.0 (Java-based)
application server which alone is worth the price of the box. Relatively few
developers used it, but it's an amazingly fast and flexible system -- they
used to sell it for $50k to the likes of Ford; now it's basically free.

Who's really competing for sales for an app server on OS/X? J2EE vendors?
PHP (wait, that's open source)? Perl (ditto)? Apache Tomcat (ditto)?
WebObjects, Tomcat, and the Ps (PHP, Perl, Python) are plenty of *installed*
competition without having to buy additional software.

Plus, once you've spent all the $$ on the X-Server, you don't have cash left
for software :)

IMHO, despite how cool the X-Server is, Apple's about 5 years late in
getting a good server out -- though they needed the solid OS to get to this
point -- and they have a lot of catching up to do. Our local (pretty
high-tech) schools are excited. Some graphics houses I know are excited.
Mainly because they have a small form-factor file server.

Let's not even talk about the fact that Java development on the Mac stopped
at 1.1.7 + the Collections API and Swing (~ 1.1.8). Just the fact that it
runs Java well makes OSX attractive! Our Java developers are literally
dumping their wintel boxes for G4 TiBooks. Of course we then deploy to IBM
xSeries servers on the current project. WebSphere in fact. Makes local
development tough though since there's no WS for OSX. Maybe we can convince
IBM to support X-Server and then run the CFMX for WebSphere app on top of

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/TransitionPoint
[EMAIL PROTECTED]