Well CF could use the same technique that VB did. VB optionally allows
variables to be declared as a type. If no type is declared then the
variable is considered of type variant. For example, the following could
work with CF.

<cfset int foobar = 1>
or
<cfscript>
        int foobar = 1;
</cfscript>

Would declare a coldfusion.runtime.Integer instead of the following.

<cfset foobar = 1>
or
<cfscript>
        foobar = 1;
</cfscript>

Would declare a coldfusion.runtime.Variable.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.montarasoftware.com/