Sean A Corfield wrote:
> On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 02:37 , Jochem van Dieten wrote:
>
> Adding types to the language as an aid to the compiler - which is why
> we're discussing this -

Not necessarily just as an aid to the compiler. That's why I made the
step from discussing ColdFusion to discussing CFML.

>>But I have not seen any conclusive arguments that support your point
>>that adding the option of strongly typed variables would make CFML an
>>entirely different language.
>
> Perhaps only people with a background in compiler design and code
> generation will believe me?

Or understand you?

> Because it changes the semantic specification of the language at a
> fundamental level. There's no other way to explain this. Let's take a
> simple example:
>
>       a = x / y;
>
> Right now, as long as x and y are numeric and y is not eq 0, a will end up
> as x divided by y, e.g., x = 10; y = 3; a will be
> 3.33333333333333333333333333.
>
> Now, change x and y to 'int' type variables. Should the expression convert
> both to floating point and then perform a floating point division
> (yielding 3.33333 again)? Most languages don't behave like that. If x and
> y are both 'int' then the division would be an integer division and the
> result would be just 3. How should CF behave if both are 'int'? How should
> CF behave if only one or the other is 'int'? This needs to be specified.

<snip>

Sorry I made you type so much, but at least I finally understand why you
believe it would be such a big thing for CFML.

Yes, you would have to specify and document a lot (which might be a good
thing, so people don't have the sudden discovery that CF turns the
string "April 2002" in a date).
Some behaviour would become more counterintuitive. But only for those
that use these typed variables.

> [DevCon]
>
> Sorry... It would be good to chat over a few beers about this sort of
> stuff...

Maybe on a European DevCon.

Jochem