I may be a bit numb from previous support experiences we had with Borland. (We used to use their J2EE app server - don't ask me why :-)
We WERE their beta test team for two years...not because we wanted to but hell, half the stuff never worked properly. As for Allaire/MM comparison...I see a hell of a lot more interaction from MM then with Allaire...and responses are much quicker...albeit not perfect but c'mon. To save heart-ache, steer clear of a 1.0 release unless you've got the bandwidth to deal with some hurdles because there are bound to be some! That's all there is to it. As many of you had said...there were similar issues with 4.5 on it's initial release (we ran into them too)...and that was a 4.5 release, not a 1.0! Stace -----Original Message----- From: Gyrus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:38 PM To: CF-Talk Subject: Re: LONG time CF Supporter - About ready to dump CF! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Fuller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > What I'd REALLY like to see is a solution to fix these issues. Someone > working with us from MM to nail this puppy down so that it stops > happening, and we can go on to bitch about other things. <grin> ---------------------------- Jumping into the thread here, but I've read every post and it seems to be degenerating a bit. I'm speaking as someone with no experience of managing a live server myself, just an intermediate-to-advanced developer who's interested in CFMX hosting issues. Lee, I don't recall seeing you respond to the (pretty reasonable) suggestions to downgrade to CF5 until MM *do* get round to fixing the problems you're having. It seems obvious to me that: (1) Every piece of software has bugs. (2) MM want to fix its bugs (otherwise, as we're seeing here, they lose customers). I remember when I first became aware of CF around the 4 - 4.5 upgrade, being told to avoid 4.5 like the plague until certain issues were resolved, which took a bit of time - so it's not just an MM issue here. (3) A company of MM's size is bound to be more impersonal and frustrating than one of Allaire's size to deal with. I'm all with you on the frustration-with-corporate-bureaucracy thing. Hopefully some improvement in MM's system will result here... (4) However much they improve their bug tracking, customer relations, etc. there's no way MM can fix every problem as quickly as everyone wants it fixed - cos everyone wants it fixed yesterday. (5) A complete rewrite of something like CF on a different platform is *bound* to have more than its fair share of problems. (6) Some people have been having no critical problems with CFMX, so it doesn't seem fair at all to write off the product. (7) Anyone whose company depends on their CF servers would probably be best off waiting in the wings until MXv1.5 at least (CF6.5 I guess) is released - not sure if the updater qualifies here - maybe wait for CF7? Of course there's a balancing act between waiting for it to be stable and not keeping up with what your customers might demand, but such is business I guess... Seems like you're having a bad time of it within your company, so I don't want to belittle these issues, just offer some outside observations :-) good luck, - Gyrus ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ - [EMAIL PROTECTED] work: http://www.tengai.co.uk play: http://www.norlonto.net - PGP key available ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4 Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists&body=lists/cf_talk FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq This list and all House of Fusion resources hosted by CFHosting.com. The place for dependable ColdFusion Hosting.

