Paul,

I think that's a pretty unfair, and easy to answer argument.

For starters, and I'm not jabbing at you, persons who live by that type
of thinkging, well, they typically have a reason to live in that sort of
fear.

Macromedia, as best as I can tell, is listening to the PITA comments
from web developers and designers everywhere.

In fact, they're making it easier for persons who cannot create
dynamically driven web pages to remain competitive.  Certainly there's a
deliniation between the levels, and Macromedia, in my opinion, is
remaining competitive in a market where Content Management is a strong
buzzword, but the strong costs associated with a Vignette doesn't seem
to make much sense when someone can create a weblog in ColdFusion in
just under 2 hours.

Does that frighten you?

Regardless, on of the biggest frustrations any developer / designer will
admit to, beyond the difficulty in initially getting a client to
sign-off on requirements and/or commit to what they want upfront, is the
nickel-and-diming that happens afterward.

I'd much rather be someone that a client doesn't have to depend on for
minor updates--which will eliminate a portion of the stigma that all
consultants want to keep their hands in a client for as much as they can
or that a consultant will up-and-leave shortly after development because
a project wasn't all that fun.

No one's being replaced; maintenance is being reduced from a
developer/designer perspective and in conjunction with that, so are some
frustrations that go hand-in-hand with it.

There's a forest out there, you just have to get beyond the trees to see
it, in my opinion.