...there is no longer a simple separation of
> "content" (i.e. the text or simple HTML itself) from its "presentation"
(in
> this case, the CF logic that runs to personalize navigation systems, page
> headers, etc).
...> 3) Cost: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution right now
(i.e.
> please don't recommend Spectra <g>). Neither us nor our clients are
> particuarly interested in paying huge sums of money for a feature-packed
> solution at this time.
>
> I don't necessarily need ALL aspects of each page available to the client
> change.  Certain parts of the site, such as CF-enabled navigation systems,
> can remain under my company's control.  With all of these things in mind,
> does anyone out there have any pointers for me?  Either links to
prewritten
> applications or ideas on "rolling my own" system are welcome.

Seth,
    Spectra is just XML in a propriatory Allaire wrapping. Go to the Apache
site and look at Cocoon. It is possible to seperate presentation from
content.
    At another level if you look at your pages and seperate the CF code from
the HTML areas, the HTML areas are just text strings, which can be stored in
a database and updated in a database while maintaining "control". One
question would be is how many dependancies are there between the CF code
areas and the HTML areas. Either CF supplies values or it selects between
alternate pieces of HTML that should be included.
    Post an example of a page with a description of the kinds of changes the
clients would like to make.....

Kenneth Tyler, 8th Fold, Berkeley, CA, USA