I think HTML form handling and validation is a particular weakness of
ColdFusion, given that it is a key element of (non-flash) web apps. I
certainly don't think cfform-level functionality is anything to aspire to.
That's why I and others have spent so much time working on forms tools.  

It would be interesting to see a list of the tools people use to build their
forms. I think most of us have developed our own unique solutions, a
situation that indicates to me that the CF core is missing something in this
regard. 

But it's not CF's fault (it's just that in my view CF doesn't help much). We
are trying to build web apps with HTML elements that are fundamentally
flawed. Aside from lack of widgets, lack of persistence of data in a form,
automatic validation, key filtering, required fields, etc, the tags are
ill-conceived. Why for example does the HTML for a select box look so
different from the HTML for a set of radio buttons, which is effectively the
same thing? Were they designed by different committees??

The speck of light on the horizon is XForms. But these are a long way off,
and with MS's recent announcement (not upgrading the browser independent of
OS) we are likely to be needing to support IE6 for a long time to come. 

Matt

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Angel Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Wednesday, 11 June 2003 10:23 a.m.
> To: CF-Talk
> Subject: RE: Cftextarea...
> 
> *sits and sulks*
> I dunno.
> I just want one with cfform validation and stuff.
> *siiiiighs*
> 
> Oh well I guess that's a good reason.Changes too often to be built into
> the server, and too many different browsers to support.
> Activedit and others can get away with being IE specific.
> CF won't be able to.
> 
> Yeah. Good reason.
> 
> *goes back to using activedit and writing custom validation JS*
> Dum dee dum dum..
> 
> -Gel
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Philip Arnold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> > Why isn't there a simple WYSIWYG capable Cftextarea control?
> 
> This funny thing called the Browser
> 
> New ones have new controls... So how is CF meant to keep up with these?
> 
> 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq

Signup for the Fusion Authority news alert and keep up with the latest news in 
ColdFusion and related topics. 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/signup.cfm

                                Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4
                                

Reply via email to