From: Mike Brunt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 9:05 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Good Ol' Cold Fusion Performance Question

Rich this is a question that has been aired in various forms many times.
I can give you my experience having used CF seriously since version 1.54
and having worked for Allaire and MM as a field based Consultant (read
Troubleshooter).  My view is very much from a CF angle.

>From a coding standpoint in terms of getting an application coded well
and out of the door nothing has ever bettered CF.  The advent of Fusebox
also added the possibility of using a well distributed framework which
we find is greatly in demand in the larger enterprise operations.
Fusebox is moving into other paradigms (PHP, ASP, JSP) etc but it much
more evolved for CF.  In my time at Allaire and Macromedia I saw
applications of all sizes.  Wherever there were perfomance issues they
always related back to bad coding or dodgy infrastructure.  Once these
items were corrected CF was always able to scream.  I had two large CF
user clients paranoid that they had lost most of their site users
because stability and system loads were suddenly amazingly better.  One
of them was one of the worlds large Auto manufacturers and they had
bloody busy sites.

So my point of view is that CF Sites coded well in a workable scalable
and understandable framework cannot be beaten from a web application
standpoint and this is historical.

When you add to that the possibilities before us with the MX Family, all
the rest really do pale IMHO.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt

Hello all:

I'm new to this list but have always been a fan of CF's elegance and
power for years. I am a manager in dev shop and the classic argument
arises when CF comes up: can CF perform on par with jsp? Php? Asp? .net?

Is there anything out there in terms of a comparative study of some sort
that lays it all out? My guess is that it will be slower than Jsp since
its in effect a layer on top of java (so is JSP I suppose, but I'm
guessing its closer to Java than CF is, someone correct me if I'm wrong
here).

I'd be glad to present to case for future technology decisions where I'm
at, but I don't feel like I have the ammunition. Anyone?

Thanks,
Rich

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm