From: Sean A Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 7:06 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Objects Everywhere!

On Saturday, Aug 9, 2003, at 15:33 US/Pacific, Rich Z wrote:
> 1.    One of the things I'd like to do is populate a user's session
> with a user object that persists. Now my concern here is that this
> object is being created for each authenticated user. I'm assuming that
> all methods effectively get copied ot every user as well (again I'm
> assuming). This sounds expensive. If I get to 200, 300, etc.
concurrent
> logged-in users, is this an inefficient way to do things?

macromedia.com uses session scope instances of CFCs and supports
15,000-20,000 concurrent sessions during peak traffic - I wouldn't
worry about a few hundred users!

> 2.    Another sort of related quesiton is the idea of an object having
> other objects (i.e. composition). Here's my concern here. Let's say
> I've
> got a user object that has one to many bookmarks associated with it.
If
> a user has say 15 bookmarks, this also seems inefficient.

Why do you think it's inefficient?

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood

ColdFusion and related topics.