From: S. Isaac Dealey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 1:19 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: fusebox

Well it's mostly a question of time I think. My understanding is that
the majority of developers / coders (whatever we want to be called)
don't really use frameworks, we just pound the code into the shape we
want it like the way a kid goes after play-doh. :)

Ultimately becoming intimate with the pros and cons of any given
method or idea takes a fair amount of time, and frameworks typically
involve a good number of different methods and ideas and how they work
together, so becoming intimate with the pros and cons of a framework
will take a fair amount of time. I was talking about this with Sean
Corfield just the other day actually and he was saying how all
frameworks have a noticeable learning curve and don't seem to offer
much benefit until you've got a fair amount of that learning under
your belt.

I think a lot of us who write code for a living either feel as though
we're under too much pressure to find or make the time to learn a
framework(s), and or value our recreational time too much to allow
learning frameworks to take up the hours we're not being paid.
Obviously I'm not speaking to or about everyone -- or anyone in
particular for that matter. But it seems like this has been the case
with a lot of people I've met.

So frameworks I _think_ tend to end up being learned largely by the
sort of osmosis and approximation that occurs when a manager or lead
developer finds one he likes and simply makes a business decision to
use it. Everyone else in the office learns it more or less out of
necessity.

So I think building a small app using a framework is significantly
better than only doing the "pros and cons" research of asking other
people their opinions. And especially if you're going to try out
several frameworks, you're looking at a rather significant investment
of time even for that.

I think you are right tho -- experience is a real must.

I myself was much more impressed with Fusebox 3 when I got it "out of
the box" so to speak, than I was after I'd worked with it for a while.
My disenchantment doesn't make it a bad framework / methodology, it's
just not how I prefer to work. And my own experience with nested
layouts in FB3 lead to my implementation of a different nested layout
model in the onTap framework.

ahh, a lengthy post! :) It feels good to do that again. :)

  _____