> I think that books along with a free saturday morning is
> documentation enough.... what is everyone exactly looking for?!

I'm actually rather surprised you don't know what I'm looking for. You
must have learned from (a) book(s) originally and never sat down with
a copy of the core files and tried to figure it out from scratch.

If I were going to report it as a "bug" in their documentation, the
steps to reproduce the issue would be:

1) download the core files for FB3
2) open the fbx_circuits.cfm template
3) realize that there are no instructions

That template is required by the framework and it doesn't work "out of
the box", you _must_ put something in it, but from reading through the
core files, _what_ needs to go there is a mystery. I know (more or
less) what needs to go in that template : at least, I can make it work
from scratch. When you know what that is, it's not very complicated,
and I think the instructions wouldn't take more than about 10 minutes
or so to write, which is what I find surprising about it.

Oddly enough, that template actually has a fusedoc in it.
Unfortunately the fusedoc doesn't provide any useful information.

Actually even before getting to the fbx_circuits.cfm there's nothing
in the fb3 core files like a readme.txt, etc. to tell you the
fbx_circuits.cfm needs to be configured, so there's a bit of research
and/or trial and error to get even to that point.

Again -- I mean this as no disrespect to Hal and the rest of the folks
behind the framework. It's just an area of weakness, like we all have
in our work.

I have noticed that the folks behind Mach-II have done a good job of
providing readme's which explain the core files downloads. (Though
from the website it's not obvious what the difference is between the
core files and the application skeleton. I personally would have
included the application skeleton in a subdirectory of the core files,
but that's pretty much a style decision.)

Actually the doc's in the Mach-II downloads are a good comparison to
see what I think is missing from the FB3 download.

I certainly don't think there's a need to go to the extreme that the
onTap framework is taken for documentation, wherein, large amounts of
web-ready documentation have been bundled with the core files.
Actually the documentation is a sample application in its own right
and is designed to be extended by additional 3rd-party libraries,
"plug-ins" and other components.

s. isaac dealey                214-823-9345

team macromedia volunteer      http://www.macromedia.com/go/team

chief architect, tapestry cms  http://products.turnkey.to

onTap is open source           http://www.turnkey.to/ontap